Why do certain individuals, seem, more – capable/ able, of attracting, inspiring, and motivating others, than others, with, seemingly, the same experience, expertise, skill – set, and, perhaps, even a similar, positive, can – do, attitude? After, over four decades, of personal involvement, in, nearly, everything, related to leading, from identifying and qualifying, to training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or, potential leaders, I have come to believe, strongly, one of the most overlooked, aspects/ behaviors, which differentiate, potentially, great leaders, from the rest of the pack, is the willingness, to consistently, SMILE, in an obviously, genuine manner! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and why it matters.
1. Supportive; sustainable; strengthen; service: If you hope to be an effective leader, you must constantly, emphasize, and prioritize, supportive leadership, which places, quality service, to his stakeholders, and group, instead of any personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest! In order to strengthen, both, his organization, and the constituents, he must proceed, in a strategic, relevant, and sustainable way (instead of, merely, a populist one)!
2. Mean it; motivate; make mark; mention: Only, a genuine, smile, instead of a forced, and/ or, phony one, ends – up, motivating others! Most people recognize this, and its relationship, between, politics, etc, and, truly, meaning – it! Smiling usually motivates, because it creates an essential connection! Only, then, will one make his mark, and, if, he combines it, with, thanking others, and mentioning their contributions, will his group, become the best, possible!
3. Integrity; inspire; innovate; imagination; involve: A leader only makes a difference, for the better, when he proceeds, consistently, with absolute integrity, especially, when some course/ path, of least resistance, seems simpler, etc! This characteristic inspires others, and, when combined, with a well – developed, considered, imagination, seeking to innovate, when changes, are indicated, generally, gets – through! Why would constituents be willing, to consider, more involvement and commitment, unless this was happening?
4. Listen; learn; leading: Avoid anyone who demands, My way or the highway, or, claims to have all the answers, and/ or, knows all the possible questions, and perceptions! Combining, positive, body – language, such as a positive, genuine smile, with effectively, listening, and learning, is the essence, of meaningful, effective, leading!
5. Empathy; efforts; emphasis; excellence; endurance: Great leaders proceed, with the utmost degree of genuine empathy, and place his emphasis, and efforts, accordingly! He must proceed, never, willing to accept, merely, good – enough, and/ or, the same – old, same – old, but must demand the utmost degree of personal excellence. To achieve this, often, requires endurance, because, it may take this, to change things, for the better!
Briefly, we have discussed, why a great leaders needs to, consistently, genuinely, SMILE! Are you up to the tasks, and commitments?